What you need to know about Olathe Municipal Court


The Olathe Municipal Court is located at 1200 South Harrison.  Parking is available at the front of the building.  When you walk in, you must check in with one of the clerks in the Municipal Court window to the right.  If you do not do this, you will not be in line to speak with the prosecutor or the judge.

WARNING!  Many people confuse the Johnson County District Court with the Olathe Municipal Court.  To confirm you are going to the correct court, you can check the address on the ticket or notice to appear.  You can also contact the clerk of either the Johnson County District Court or the Olathe Municipal Court.


The Olathe Municipal Court has jurisdiction to prosecute traffic violations, misdemeanor charges, and city code violations.  Felony charges that arise within Olathe are handled at the Johnson County District Court in Olathe at the corner of 135th and Kansas.  Most criminal cases in Olathe are first or second DUI’s, thefts, driving while suspended, traffic infractions, domestic battery, and possession of marijuana or paraphernalia.

Warrant status:

Many people charged with a crime have outstanding warrants.  You can check for outstanding Johnson County warrants by going to the Johnson County Sheriff’s website.  If you have a warrant from another jurisdiction (County, City, or State), you may be arrested by the Olathe Police Officers at the courthouse.  If your warrant is related to your Olathe case, you can ask the judge to quash the warrant. 

It is always best to turn yourself in if you have an outstanding warrant. Doing so will avoid unnecessary embarrassment and allows you to plan for your release by setting up a bondsman ahead of time.

The Judge and Prosecutors:

In Olathe, the prosecutors and the judge are full-time employees.  According to their availability, your attorney may be able to discuss your case outside of regular court hours.  In most cases, the best time to negotiate your case will be on your court date. 

It is risky to speak directly to a prosecutor on your own behalf.  The maxim, “He who represents himself has a fool for a client” is well-deserved.  Keep in mind that the prosecutor’s job is to convict you of a crime.  Be careful about what you say, it may be used against you later.

Your Attorney:

In general, you will have three choices regarding an attorney.  You can represent yourself.  If you do, the judge will require you to formally waive counsel.  If you understand that you need an attorney but cannot afford one, the judge will appoint an attorney to you - if certain qualifications are met.  Your third choice is to hire a Gardner criminal defense attorney.


The Olathe Municipal Court is open five days a week.  However, you cannot simply walk in at any time to discuss your case.  If you have any questions about your next court date, you should review your ticket or the notice to appear.  If all else fails, contact your attorney or the court clerk.


It is a good idea to wear your Sunday best to court.  If you are coming straight from work, clean up as much as you can.  In short, you should avoid wearing t-shirts, shorts, and hats.  Make sure your cellphone is turned off.  Stand when the judge enters the courtroom.  And, do not talk while court is in session.


If you are unhappy with the results of your Olathe municipal criminal case, you have the right to appeal.  Contact an experienced appellate attorney who focuses on criminal appeals as certain time limitations and appellate bond conditions will apply.  Your appeal will be heard at the Johnson County District Court.  In Kansas, an appeal from a municipal court will result in a new trial, hearing, and presentation of evidence.

Recent Posts