Contact Us Today! 913-575-8823

Municipal Court Cases



In general, you will have three choices regarding an attorney.  You can represent yourself.  If you do, the judge will require you to formally waive counsel.  If you understand that you need an attorney but cannot afford one, the judge will appoint an attorney to you - if certain qualifications are met.  Your third choice is to hire a Municipal Court defense attorney.


The prosecutors and the judges in many municipal courts are part-time employees.  This means that the only chance you or your attorney will have to negotiate your case will be on your court date.  It is difficult to discuss anything of substance outside of court because the prosecutors do not have dedicated offices to store your files.  Some cities have full-time prosecutors.  In those cases, your attorney will know how to best communicate your needs.

It is risky to speak directly  to a prosecutor on your own behalf.  The maxim, "He who represents himself has a fool for a client" is well-deserved.  Keep in mind that the prosecutor's job is to convict you of a crime.  Be careful about what you say, it may be used against you later.


Many people charged with a crime have outstanding warrants.  You can check for outstanding Johnson County warrants by going to the Johnson County Sheriff's website.  If you have a warrant from another jurisdiction, you may be arrested by the Police Officers at the courthouse.  If your warrant is related to your municipal court case, you can ask the judge to quash the warrant.

It is always best to turn yourself in if you have an outstanding warrant.  Doing so will avoid unnecessary embarrassment and allows you to plan for your release by setting up a bondsman ahead of time.


Every municipal court has jurisdiction to prosecute traffic violations, misdemeanor charges, and city code violations.  Felony charges and third DUI's are prosecuted at the Johnson County District Court.


If you are unhappy with the results of your municipal court case, you have the right to appeal.  Contact an experience appellate attorney who focuses on criminal appeals as certain time limitations and appellate bond conditions will apply.  Your appeal will be heard at the Johnson County District Court.  In Kansas, an appeal from a municipal court will result in a new trial, hearing, and presentation of evidence.  Click HERE to learn more.


If you have questions about your case, call (913) 575-8823 to discuss your issues with municipal court defense attorney Adam D. Stolte.