Contact Us Today! 913-575-8823

Overland Park Municipal Court



The Overland Park Municipal Court is located at 12400 Foster.  A parking lot is located in the front of the building.  When you walk in, you must go through the metal detectors.  Once through, the courtrooms are to the left at the end of the hall.  The most commonly used courtroom is the last one on the left.  Inside, check in with one of the clerks near the judge's bench.  If you do not do this, you will not be in line to speak with the prosecutor or the judge.


In general, you will have three choices regarding an attorney.  You can represent yourself.  If you do, the judge will require you to formally waive counsel.  If you understand that you need an attorney but cannot afford one, the judge will appoint an attorney to you - if certain qualifications are met.  Your third choice is to hire a Gardner criminal defense attorney.


The prosecutors and the judge in Overland Park are employed full time.  That being said, it is risky to speak directly to a prosecutor on your own behalf.  The maxim, “He who represents himself has a fool for a client” is well-deserved.  Keep in mind that the prosecutor's job is to convict you of a crime.  Be careful about what you say, it may be used against you later.


Many people charged with a crime have outstanding warrants.  You can check for outstanding Johnson County warrants by going to the Johnson County Sheriff's website.  If you have a warrant from another jurisdiction (County, City, or State), you may be arrested by the Overland Park Police Officers at the courthouse.  If your warrant is related to your Overland Park case, you can ask the judge to quash the warrant. 

It is always best to turn yourself in if you have an outstanding warrant. Doing so will avoid unnecessary embarrassment and allows you to plan for your release by setting up a bondsman ahead of time.


If you have any questions about your next court date, you should review your ticket or the notice to appear.  If all else fails, contact your attorney or the court clerk.


The City of Overland Park has jurisdiction to prosecute traffic violations, misdemeanor charges, and city code violations.  Felony charges that arise within Overland Park are handled at the Johnson County District Court in Olathe.  Most criminal cases in Overland Park are first or second DUI's, retail thefts, driving while suspended, traffic infractions, domestic battery, and possession of marijuana or paraphernalia.


Because of the short period of time you have with the prosecutor and judge to make a good impression, it is a good idea to wear your Sunday best to court.  If you are coming straight from work, clean up as much as you can.  In short, you should avoid wearing t-shirts, shorts, and hats. 

Make sure your cellphone is turned off.  Stand when the judge enters the courtroom.  And, do not talk while court is in session.


If you are unhappy with the results of your Overland Park municipal criminal case, you have the right to appeal.  Contact an experienced appellate attorney who focuses on criminal appeals as certain time limitations and appellate bond conditions will apply.  Your appeal will be heard at the Johnson County District Court.  In Kansas, an appeal from a municipal court will result in a new trial, hearing, and presentation of evidence.